[A2k] Supporters of Public Access to all Federally Funded Research, if you want action...

Manon Ress manon.ress at keionline.org
Mon May 21 09:45:48 PDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,
Sign the White House Petition today!
I just signed the petition, it takes a minute or two and it could make a
difference since IF the petition gathers 25,000 signatures in 30 days, the
White House Staff will have to review it and consider action.

QUOTE:

As you know, the Obama Administration has been actively considering the
issue of Public Access to the results of Federally Funded research for the
past several years. We’ve worked hard to make the case that the NIH Public
Access Policy has been a true success, and that it should be expanded
across all U.S. Federal Science Agencies – responding in force to calls for
public comments, participating in stakeholder meetings, supporting FRPAA,
and educating both policymaker and members of the public alike.
 As a result, attention to this issue in Washington is at all all-time
high. We now have a brief, critical window of opportunity to demonstrate
that we as a community firmly believe should be a high priority for the
Administration to act on right now.

 To help accomplish this, today, May 21st, a petition calling for Public
Access to all Federally Funded Research has been posted to the White
House's "We the People" Website. If the petition garners 25,000 signatures
within 30 days, it will be reviewed by White House staff, and considered
for action.

 To reach this number of signatures, we urge you to sign the petition
today. We also ask you to do all that you can to encourage your colleagues,
friends and family to do the same. To sign the petition, you must be at
least 13 years old and have a valid email address. That’s all. Signing is
easy, it’s fast, and it can have an enormous impact on our chances of
expanding access to the results of scientific research that we have helped
to fund.

 So take some time today to not only sign onto the petition, but to spread
the word far and wide. Consider a blog post, an email to constituencies, a
Tweet (use hashtag
#openaccess<http://sparc.arl.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=107&qid=10983>),
a Facebook share, an action in your library or on your campus - anything
that tells as many people as possible "I support this petition, I'm signing
this petition, and you should, too."

 Thanks in advance for your support for this effort - it is truly a
critical time, and taking this action now *can* make a difference!

 Short URL: http://wh.gov/6TH

 Long URL:
https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/require-free-access-over-internet-scientific-journal-articles-arising-taxpayer-funded-research/wDX82FLQ

--