[A2k] EU Opening Statement to SCCR 26 this morning

Chris Friend king.henry at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 19 08:11:19 PST 2012

Dear All,

This was passed to WBU by the EC Copyright Negotiaters here.

With kind regards,

Chris.

Statement by the European Union and its Member States 25th Session of WIPO
Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights

Mr Chairman,

The European Union and its Member States would like to thank you and the
WIPO Secretariat for the work on exceptions and limitations for visually
impaired and print-disabled persons.

Mr Chairman, in the last year we made considerable progress to find a
solution to this very specific problem with a very specific objective - to
remove barriers which prevent the access of the visually impaired persons to
books in accessible formats, including by helping, in a secure manner, the
cross-border distribution of such accessible format copies.

At the last session in this Committee we had extensive discussions on the
proposal for an international instrument on limitations and exceptions for
persons with print disabilities. Based on the comments made by delegations
and Regional Groups during the debate the Secretariat prepared the working
document SCCR/24/9.

The European Union and its Member States actively engaged in the work of the
intersessional meeting organised by WIPO in October. We have found these
discussions very useful as they helped to achieve a better understanding of
the positions of the delegations and Regional Groups.
We look forward to continuing the discussions in a constructive manner.

Our objectives for the 25th session of the SCCR for this item are to
concentrate the negotiations on the specific needs of visually impaired and
print-disabled persons and to achieve a strong convergence of views on the
solutions that we need to deliver. We need to advance as much asl possible
on the text. Only a focussed and balanced approach will allow the Standing
Committee to recommend that the General Assembly convene a Diplomatic
Conference in 2013.

Our goal is clear; we want to ensure that visually impaired and
print-disabled persons anywhere in the world have the same access to books
than any other person. We believe this goal is within reach if we stay on
course and target the specific problems we have set ourselves to address
while being mindful of the need to have effective protection of the rights
of creators.

The EU and its MS are now also in the position to negotiate the conclusion
of an instrument, including a binding treaty. They recall their political
commitment to address the needs of visually impaired and print-disabled
persons in an effective and balanced manner that does not affect the
principles of the existing international copyright framework.

Thank you.