[A2k] U.S. Opening Statement at the WIPO General Assembly

Thirukumaran Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Wed Oct 3 02:10:52 PDT 2012

http://geneva.usmission.gov/2012/10/01/u-s-opening-statement-at-the-wipo-general-assembly/

U.S. Opening Statement at the WIPO General Assembly

World Intellectual Property Organization
50th Series of Meetings of the WIPO Assemblies
U.S. Opening Statement
Geneva,
October 1, 2012

Thank you Mr. Chairman.

Allow me to begin by welcoming and thanking you and your vice-chairs for the important work you have done over the course of the last year.  We are confident that you will ably guide our discussions this week.

The United States supports the statement I previously made on behalf of Group B.

Mr. Chairman, United States’ patent and trademark filers depend on WIPO to administer systems for international patent and trademark protection, and we remain pleased with WIPO’s actions to build a responsive and efficient Organization that meets its mandate of providing global leadership on intellectual property issues.

The completion of the Audio-visual Performers Treaty at the June Diplomatic Conference meeting in Beijing is the first significant advancement in international norm-setting in the copyright area in more than fifteen years, and serves as just one example of the excellent work being done at WIPO.

The United States hopes the “spirit of Beijing” will now be apparent in the work to advance protection of broadcast signals and enhance access to copyrighted works by persons with print disabilities.

<SNIP>

WIPO is unique among UN-specialized agency UN as it provides a number of fee-paying services to industry and the private sector for protecting their inventions, brands and designs internationally.  This enables the Organization to generate a significant proportion of its budget from fees.

The United States believes it is important for WIPO to develop closer ties with these industry and the private sector users of WIPO services.   As is done at other international organizations, WIPO should host an Industry/Stakeholder Day with industry officials during the 2013 General Assembly so that WIPO Member States can hear about real-world considerations in the discussions of the Organization.

<SNIP>

This has been a busy year in the world of patents in the United States.  With passage of the America Invents Act (AIA) in September 2011, we have achieved comprehensive reform of our patent law that will move the U.S. to the first-to-file system for awarding patents that is used throughout the world.   Over the past year, the U.S. has further expanded its training and technical assistance efforts, and its cooperation on intellectual property issues with a multitude of WIPO Member States.

--

Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative

thiru at keionline.org