[A2k] ITU attempt to 'land grab' patent policy in smartphones and tablets - and only the wealthy will be able to participate

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Wed Oct 24 08:56:49 PDT 2012

Dear all,

I thought you would appreciate seeing an oped in IP Watch penned by me, "In Search of Relevance, Not Solutions: The Truth About ITU’s ‘Patent Roundtable’" at http://t.co/QYL6qkmA) which came out today.

I want to highlight this to you because many of you will not be aware that what the ITU wants to do is to have fundamental issues related to licensing of mobile and smartphone patents decided in a committee at the ITU - and everyone who cannot pay thousands of Swiss Francs per year to be an ITU "Sector Member" will be excluded.

Smartphone technology is obviously important to everyone. Whatever you think of the issues related to the high profile litigation in patents that's going on, I hope you will agree that those who are affected by decisions should be able to participate in them - or at the very least be present when they take place. That won't be possible at the ITU.

Regards, Nick