[A2k] PATNEWS: Apple's new crappy patent on disabling cellphones

Erik Josefsson erik.hjalmar.josefsson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 07:49:19 PDT 2012

Greg Aharonian is a dear old opponent from the EU swpat wars. Maybe some
of you remember:

    *Gregory Aharonian and Software Patents: Propagating a Disease,
    Selling a Medicine*
    http://eupat.ffii.org/players/aharonian/

Unfortunately the medicine he is selling is prior art. Rant for rant,
here's one of Hartmut's takes on Greg:

    https://listes.aful.org/wws/arc/patents/2007-02/msg00000.html

I'd say that as long as there is no standardised level of abstraction
(you could say a "standardised patent language") in which you express
software innovation, prior art discussions are as doomed as discussions
on inventive step (which is as high, as you know, as twice the length of
a rope). Greg makes that point exactly in his email below.

Now, for reasons I don't understand, very few efforts have been made on
the US side to argue that programs for computers are not inventions,
even if there is implicit support for that theory in US law (see SFLC's
amicus to Bilski) and even if that was the EPC language that finally
killed the software patents directive in 2005.

It's the subject matter test: innovation expressed in source code and
performed on a general purpose computer is not an invention.

It's not difficult legally, and its not intellectually difficult either.
Patents on software should simply not exist. Actually they normally
don't since they are cancelled by cross licensing cartels, and they
don't exist i the GPL stack. So what's the problem?

Fix that, and you'll fix the patent system, at least for the software
sector.

The Greens/EFA retabled some of the swpat directive amendments to the
Patent Package to reinforce the the subject matter test in EU-law, as it
is written and used to be understood in EPC countries.

We'll see how that goes :-)

Please support the campaign http://unitary-patent.eu

//Erik

*Amendment 56
*
Article 3b
1. European patents with unitary effect shall be granted for any
inventions, in all fields of technology, provided that they are new,
involve an inventive step and are susceptible of industrial application.

2. The following in particular shall not be regarded as inventions
within the meaning of paragraph 1:

    (a) discoveries, scientific theories and mathematical methods;
    (b) aesthetic creations;
    (c) schemes, rules and methods for performing mental acts, playing
    games or
    doing business, and programs for computers;
    (d) presentations of information.

/Justification/
The goal of this amendment is to codify into EU Law, provisions defining
an invention as set up by the European Patent Convention and other
international agreements. The wordings of the amendment is compliant
with the EPC, and moreover is enhancing the EPC own wordings, by
clarifying some difficulties that have resulted in divergent
interpretations by various national courts. Hence, this amendment
contributes to the goal of having a unified enforcement of European
patents with unitary effect.

*Amendment 57
*
Article 3c
1. A set of instructions for solving a problem by means of an automated
system consisting only of generic data processing hardware (universal
computer), also called "program for computers" or "computer-implemented
solution", is not an invention within the meaning of the substantive
patent law applicable to a European patent with unitary effect,
regardless of the form under which it is claimed.

2. A claimed object may be an invention within the meaning of the
substantive patent law applicable to the European patent with unitary
effect only if it contributes knowledge to the state of the art in a
field of applied natural science; an invention is a teaching about
cause-and-effect relations in the use of controllable forces of nature.

/Justification/
This amendment defines some rules of patentability in the same way as
voted by the European Parliament on September 24 2003 on its first
reading on the software patents. The wordings of the amendment is
compliant with the EPC, and moreover is enhancing the EPC own wordings,
by clarifying some difficulties that have resulted in divergent
interpretations by various national courts. Hence, this amendment
contributes to have a unified enforcement of European patents with
unitary effect.