[A2k] Companies Call for Patent Limit Amendments to EU Unitary Patent

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 03:03:07 PDT 2012

(Signatories still being sought.  Already 400 on board.)

"We are concerned that the regulation on the unitary patent [. . .]
leaves any and every issue on the limits of patentability to the EPO's
case law, without any democratic control or review by an independent
court.

[. . .]

"[W]e urge MEPs to adopt amendments which clearly state that the EPO's
decisions are subject to a review from the Court of Justice of the
European Union, and which reaffirm the rejection of software
patentability, as expressed by the votes of the European Parliament on
September 24th, 2003 and July 6th, 2005."

Companies Call for Patent Limit Amendments to EU Unitary Patent
> https://www.unitary-patent.eu/content/companies-get-involved-against-software-patents-and-current-proposal-unitary-patent

April offers to companies to publicly declare their opposition to
software patents, by signing a resolution asking to the Committee on
Legal Affairs of the European Parliament to amend the regulation on
the unitary patent.

This resolution, along with the list of signatories, will be sent to
Members of the European Parliament on Tuesday, September 13rd, 2012, a
few days before the meeting of the Committee on Legal Affairs. The
text has been submitted to some supporters of previous campaigns, and
more than 400 firms have already signed it. Join them and forward the
information, in order to remind our elective representatives that a
clear framework, which would foster innovation with legal certainty,
has to include a clear ban on software patents!

To sign the resolution, please contact us:
resolution-enterprises at unitary-patent.eu

The text of the resolution:

Our company is worried about the current plans to set up a unitary
patent with a flanking unified patent court.

The European Patent Office (EPO)'s practices to grant software
patents, under the deceiving term of “computer-implemented
inventions”, pose a threat to our professional activities.

We are concerned that the regulation on the unitary patent, as agreed
in December 2011 by the negotiators of the Council, the Commission,
and the Committee on Legal Affairs of the European Parliament, leaves
any and every issue on the limits of patentability to the EPO's case
law, without any democratic control or review by an independent court.

The regulation on the unitary patent is an opportunity for the EU
legislators to harmonise substantive patent law in the EU
institutional and jurisdictional framework, and to put an end to the
EPO's self-motivated practices extending the realm of patentability to
software. Failing to do so, this unitary patent will do more harm than
good to the EU ICT firms.

For these reasons, we urge MEPs to adopt amendments which clearly
state that the EPO's decisions are subject to a review from the Court
of Justice of the European Union, and which reaffirm the rejection of
software patentability, as expressed by the votes of the European
Parliament on September 24th, 2003 and July 6th, 2005.

<signature>

Companies can also contact MEPs directly to share their concerns
regarding the unitary patent :

    Via email: the list of the MEPs members of the JURI Committee is
available on the contact platform.
    More importantly, you can also call MEPs : a calling tool is
available on the contact platform, allowing you to call them for free.

This news was first published on April website .