[A2k] oped: How to Reboot WIPO

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Tue Sep 18 03:38:30 PDT 2012

Dear A2K list colleagues,

IP-Watch has published an oped piece authored by me with ideas on how to transform WIPO's governance, accountability, and transparency. You may be aware of the substantial controversies swirling around WIPO; independent investigators have just released a report on WIPO's technical assistance to countries under UN sanctions this week (story and links to report here).

You can read my oped here. I hope you find it useful - and I welcome any thoughts you have.

There's a key opportunity to get many improvements in these areas with the upcoming WIPO Assemblies. We are working actively with member-states to encourage them to come up with a substantial package of reforms this year. I hope all of you will push too; there hasn't been a better opportunity to get reforms in this area in the 10 years I've been following WIPO's work.

Regards, Nick