[A2k] oped: How to Reboot WIPO

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Tue Sep 18 05:38:48 PDT 2012

Sorry everyone, it seems this list is set to lo-fi mode so all the embedded links were stripped. Hopefully they will come through this time...

> On 18 September 2012 20:08, Nick Ashton-Hart <nashton at ccianet.org> wrote:
>> Dear A2K list colleagues,

IP-Watch has published an oped piece authored by me (http://www.ip-watch.org/2012/09/12/how-to-reboot-wipo/) with ideas on how to transform WIPO's governance, accountability, and transparency. You may be aware of the substantial controversies swirling around WIPO; independent investigators have just released a report on WIPO's technical assistance to countries under UN sanctions this week (story and links to report here (http://www.ip-watch.org/2012/09/11/review-of-wipo-shipments-to-iran-north-korea-issued-us-calls-for-new-safeguards/)).

I hope you find it useful - and I welcome any thoughts you have.

There's a key opportunity to get many improvements in these areas with the upcoming WIPO Assemblies. We are working actively with member-states to encourage them to come up with a substantial package of reforms this year. I hope all of you will push too; there hasn't been a better opportunity to get reforms in this area in the 10 years I've been following WIPO's work.