[A2k] TPP IP negotiations update, plus A2K & meds presentations

Peter Maybarduk pmaybarduk at citizen.org
Wed Sep 26 12:15:40 PDT 2012

http://bit.ly/PbCH0f

From: Stephanie Rosenberg, Public Citizen

Friends,
Our TPP Leesburg round page has been updated! Click here<http://bit.ly/PbCH0f> for a report on the Leesburg round intellectual property negotiations as well as presentations from Public Citizen, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Public Knowledge, Professor Brook Baker, the American Medical Student Association and Universities Allied for Essential Medicines. Note that we keep an ongoing TPP news feed, where you can read about current subjects under negotiation as well as public protest, such as the arrest of Q'orianka Kilcher, star of the movie "Pocahontas," who was arrested in Leesburg while helping deliver 350,000 signatures against TPP secrecy. (The number of signatures to this Avaaz global petition has since doubled.)

We also developed a new set of analyses and factsheets for this round. You'll find a short-form table comparing "patent linkage" provisions in the US TPP proposal to linkage provisions in past US FTAs. The TPP proposal is even more dangerous, comprehensive and burdensome, with a built-in automatic delay of generic medicine marketing approval and potential for abuse.  We also have new short-form factsheets summarizing the dangers for access to medicines in the TPP generally and in the specific contexts of Vietnam and Malaysia.

Leesburg round report here: http://bit.ly/PbCH0f

PS - If we are missing your A2K or health presentation or documents, please feel free to send them our way for posting.

Stephanie Rosenberg
Global Access to Medicines Program
Public Citizen | Protecting Health, Safety and Democracy
1600 20th St NW, Washington, DC 20009
Cell: 773 620-3968
Twitter: @PCMedsAccess