[A2k] MPAA publishes its response in the Huffpo

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Tue Apr 23 15:41:25 PDT 2013

Following my post earlier today in the Huffpo, titled "Disney, Viacom
and Other MPAA Members Join Book Publishers to Weaken a Treaty for the
Blind," MPAA CEO Chris Dodd was written a response, also in the
Huffpo, where he defends the MPAA lobbying efforts, and thanks the
European Union and U.S. Government for doing the MPAA's bidding last
week.  Unlike my detail rich 4300 word account of the negotiations, he
doesn't bother to explain what the MPAA wanted changed in the treaty.
 Jamie

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-dodd/mpaa-supports-meaningful_b_3141781.html

Chris Dodd Chairman and CEO, Motion Picture Association of America;
Fmr. U.S. Senator

MPAA Supports Meaningful Treaty for Visually Impaired

The international community, through the World Intellectual Property
Organization (WIPO), is currently negotiating a treaty intended to
improve access to books for the visually impaired, a cause the Motion
Picture Association believes is both commendable and important to
pursue. We were among the first to support this particular agreement
and its goal of enabling the cross-border exchange of
accessible-format copies among those participating countries.

Unfortunately, however, some groups have sought to use this meaningful
treaty as a vehicle to weaken copyright and ultimately undermine the
global marketplace WIPO is charged with strengthening. Such groups
have advocated for the inclusion of certain provisions that would
establish lower thresholds for copyright protection and weaken certain
means used for protecting copyright works. When content owners voiced
their concerns with these provisions, these groups attempted to
inaccurately portray content owners as being opposed to the treaty.

We believe that access for the blind to books and other publications
is a cause worth promoting. We also believe in the fundamental
principles of copyright that empower creators and encourage creativity
around the world. Unlike those who seek to weaken copyright
protection, we believe these two objectives are not mutually
exclusive. Strong copyright laws also benefit consumers by promoting
free markets and incentivizing innovation, both of which are hallmarks
of a healthy global economy.

We are gratified that the European Union and U.S. Government have
confirmed their belief in these principles, which do not need to be
sacrificed in order to achieve the goals of this treaty. We agree.
This is proven by the fact that the United States, as do numerous
other countries, achieves the goals of the treaty within the existing
framework of copyright law. Moving forward, the MPAA will continue to
work with all parties, including the blind community, to overcome
these divergent agenda items with the ultimate objective of developing
a treaty that meets the goals of everyone involved.

http://www.keionline.org, +1.202.332.2670, US Mobile: +1.202.361.3040,
Geneva Mobile: +41.76.413.6584, efax: +1.888.245.3140.
twitter.com/jamie_love