[A2k] LDC Watch concerned with developed countries' position on LDC extension

Sangeeta Shashikant ssangeeta at myjaring.net
Fri Apr 26 02:56:44 PDT 2013

In a statement to the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the
Pacific (ESCAP) LDC Watch, an alliance of CSOs, networks and movements
based in the LDCs
raised concern over developed countries' objection to the LDC extension as
proposed by
the LDCs to the TRIPS Council.

US and the EU are demanding concessions from LDCs in exchange for a short
period of extension particularly that LDCs agree to a "no-roll-back"
Clause that would prevent LDCs from changing their laws to provide reduced
protection, once their laws move towards implementing the TRIPS
provisions.

This is condition is not found in Article 66.1 of the tRIPS agreement,
which concerns with the LDC transition period.

Sangeeta

STATEMENT BY INTERNATIONAL CO-ORDINATOR DR. AJUN KARKI AT THE BIENNIAL
REVIEW OF THE ISTANBUL PROGRAMME OF ACTION ESCAP 69th
SESSION, SENIOR OFFICIALS SEGMENT, 25-27APRIL 2013