[A2k] no software patents in New Zealand

Susan Chalmers susan at internetnz.net.nz
Wed Aug 28 18:16:21 PDT 2013

Dear Gérald, everyone,

Many thanks for your email.

"As such" does continue to reside in the language, but it is worth reading
the provision in whole.
The relevant text is in this Supplementary Order Paper:
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/sop/government/2013/0237/latest/whole.html.
The SOP revised the version of the Bill that you linked to. The text does
provide the "Fisher & Paykel" exception as an illustration.

While this language does not go as far towards wholesale exemption as was
originally proposed, the native IT industry is very pleased with it on the
balance because it effectively removes software from patentable subject
matter in New Zealand.

I've copied in Paul Matthews, the Chief Executive of New Zealand's
Institute for IT Professionals. Paul has been a champion in this endeavour
and I imagine he would be happy to provide you and the list with further
detail.

A press release from IITP on the subject can be found here:
http://www.iitp.org.nz/news/archives/4922-IT_Professionals_welcome_passing_of_Patents_Bill

Sincere regards,
Susan

--