[A2k] no software patents in New Zealand

"Gérald Sédrati-Dinet (Gibus)" gibus at april.org
Fri Aug 30 14:02:35 PDT 2013

Thanks Susan and Paul for your clarifications.

Indeed, the clause:

 "A claim in a patent or an application relates to a computer program as
such if the actual contribution made by the alleged invention lies
solely in it being a computer program"

 can limit the "as such" loophole, just like the Aerotel test, or what
the European Parliament voted in 2003 (but the whole law was rejected 2
years later) by stating that to be considered as an invention, in the
sense of the patent law, the application has to involve a new and
inventive teaching about cause-effect relations in the use of
controllable forces of nature.

But what we've learned from European (or even US) experience, is there
is no legal wording that can draw a 100% clear line between patentable
and unpatentable innovations. Everything lies in the interpretation
finally adopted by courts competent for patent enforcement/invalidation.

Never ever give competence to an isolated specialized patent court,
because you can be sure that it will interpret your shiny legal wording
in a sense that will favor the patent microcosm.

For what I've read, the NZ bill has been careful to not only propose
some legal provisions, but also to point out the spirit of theses legal
provisions, with also some examples, etc. I think this is one of the
greatest advantage of this bill because it shows to interpreting courts
what was the will of the legislator.