[A2k] Alert: Our Privacy About to be Destroyed in Brussels?
La Quadrature du Net
jz at laquadrature.net
Tue Jan 22 06:00:04 PST 2013
Themes: DATA PROTECTION, EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT
La Quadrature du Net – For immediate release
Permanent link: http://www.laquadrature.net/en/alert-our-privacy-about-to-be-destroyed-in-brussels
Alert: Our Privacy About to be Destroyed in Brussels?
*** Paris, 22 January 2013 — The revision of the "data protection" privacy directive is in progress in the European Parliament, with a vote in the consumers committee (IMCO) on Wednesday. It is the object of an unprecedented lobbying campaign, mostly driven by US companies. If citizens don't act, banks, insurance companies and Internet service operators will have a free hand to collect, process, store and sell all of our personal data, which will enable them to know and direct all that we do online and offline. ***
As the revision of the “data protection” privacy directive (95/46/EC ) is in progress in the European Parliament, an unprecedented lobbying campaign is now silently storming the institution, mostly driven by US online services, banking and insurance companies . Their objective is to include into the revision of the "data protection" directive  loopholes allowing them to do anything they want with our personal data, turning our privacy into profit.
* Would you accept that online services such as Google, Facebook or Youtube store, process and sell everything about what you do online? *
* Would you tolerate that your bank or your insurance company could buy access to all you do and store online, in order to decide how much you'd have to pay for a policy, or if you could obtain a loan? *
If we don't act quickly, this could become reality.
Many essential safeguards to our privacy  are about to be breached. The “consumers” committee (IMCO) will vote on its opinion  on Wednesday, and other key votes will happen in the next weeks and months .
“'Data protection' seems to be an obscure technical issue, but it is crucial, as everything we do online and offline is now stored in databases by private companies. Companies want to have a free hand to make profit out of our personal lives, but our privacy is a fundamental freedom, essential for a free society. Citizens must act now, by warning their Members of the European Parliament and asking them to adopt strong safeguards for our privacy through the adoption of amendments protecting our right to privacy , and by relaying the information, before it is too late.” concludes Jérémie Zimmermann, spokesperson for citizen advocacy group La Quadrature du Net.
* References *
2. See our wiki: http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/Lobbies_on_dataprotection
3. See the directive's dossier on ParlTrack: http://parltrack.euwiki.org/dossier/2012/0011%28COD%29
4. For an exhaustive view of the stakes and issues, look at EDRi's website: http://protectmydata.eu/ and BoF briefing: https://www.bof.nl/live/wp-content/uploads/Amendments-DP-Regulation-Bits-of-Freedom.pdf
5. Its rapporteur for this issue is Lari Comi ( https://memopol.lqdn.fr/europe/parliament/deputy/LaraComi/ ) (Italy - EPP)
7. In its comments ( http://protectmydata.eu/committees/imco/ ) on the IMCO draft opinion, EDRI welcomes the amendments 7, 10, 11, 17, 24, 26, 29, 39, 40, 43, 45, 50, 56, 57, 71 and 72.
** About la Quadrature du Net **
La Quadrature du Net is an advocacy group that defends the rights and freedoms of citizens on the Internet. More specifically, it advocates for the adaptation of French and European legislations to respect the founding principles of the Internet, most notably the free circulation of knowledge.
In addition to its advocacy work, the group also aims to foster a better understanding of legislative processes among citizens. Through specific and pertinent information and tools, La Quadrature du Net hopes to encourage citizens' participation in the public debate on rights and freedoms in the digital age.
La Quadrature du Net is supported by French, European and international NGOs including the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the Open Society Institute and Privacy International.
List of supporting organisations: https://www.laquadrature.net/en/they-support-la-quadrature-du-net
** Press contact and press room **
Jérémie Zimmermann, jz at laquadrature.net, +33 (0)615 940 675
More information about the A2k