[A2k] the 1709 Blog: Third Strike Struck Out

Heesob Nam hurips at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 11:28:12 PDT 2013

This is a great news.

Then do we have only two countries where the 3-strikes-out rule is
working under the copyright system: South Korea and New Zealand?

South Korean government and copyright industries have defended the
Korean 3-strikes-out rule by arguing that the Korean rule is different
from the French one because the Korean rule does not prevent the
repeat infringers from accessing the Internet. It only suspends a
user's account to a specific online service provider.

Practically this is true but the copyright law gives the government a
power to suspend a user's account of an Internet access service
provider. I mean in theory the Korean one is not different from the
French one. Rather Korean one is worse than French one because there
is no prior judicial scrutiny. The administrative body (the Ministry
of Culture and the Copyright Commission) has the sole discretion to
render a 3-strikes-out decision.

When a bill to repeal the Korean 3-strikes-out rule was introduced in
this January, the copyright industries including the IFPI strongly
opposed it and lobbied the Korean National Assembly.

One positive change is that the S. Korean government implied that it
may give up the 3-strikes-out measures made by the Minister of Culture
and that the measures against an electronic bulletin board may be
revoked. This means that the SKG wants to maintain the 3-strikes-out
rule controlled only by the Copyright Commission, members of which are
appointed by the Minister of Culture.

Best,
Heesob