[A2k] Mathew Ingram: The real villain in the ebooks case isn’t Apple or Amazon — it’s publishers’ addiction to DRM

Manon Ress manon.ress at keionline.org
Thu Jul 11 10:47:16 PDT 2013

Mathew Ingram: The real villain in the ebooks case isn’t Apple or Amazon —
it’s publishers’ addiction to DRM

QUOTE:
The Big Six gave Amazon the keys
Imagine for a moment if an ebook wasn’t locked to a specific platform, or
even to a specific retailer. It may sound far-fetched, but only because we
have all come to accept that the way the digital book business works now is
the only way it could possibly function. That’s not the way physical books
work — we are free to buy them from whatever retailer we wish, and while
publishers have exclusive deals with certain chains, that doesn’t prevent
us from doing whatever we want with the book after we have bought it.
END OF QUOTE

http://gigaom.com/2013/07/10/the-real-villain-in-the-ebooks-case-isnt-apple-or-amazon-its-publishers-addiction-to-drm/

--
Manon Ress, Knowledge Ecology International, KEI
manon.ress at keionline.org, tel.: +1 202 332 2670