[A2k] Sen. Portman (Ohio) on India

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Fri Jul 12 02:23:27 PDT 2013

Sen. Portman (Ohio) was the United States Trade Representative from 17 May
2005 to 29 May 2006 and the Director of the Office of Management and Budget
from 29 May 2006 to 19 June 2007.

Thiru

--

http://www.ibtimes.com/indias-finance-minister-p-chidambaram-visits-us-attract-investment-1339553

<SNIP>

“We have a lot of concerns about what’s going on today in India especially
their emerging market access barriers, protectionist measures,” Sen. Rob
Portman (R-Ohio) said during a Senate hearing last month.

“One is the lack of respect for patents. Basic intellectual property
protections are being set aside. They’ve invalidated and broken American
drug patents, as I say. These actions are in disregard of WTO (World
Trade Organization) rules; They’re fundamentally disruptive to innovation.
I think, frankly, it’s a major concern, because it could spread,” Portman
said.
--

India’s Finance Minister P. Chidambaram Visits US To Attract Investment

By Amrutha Gayathri

on July 10 2013 7:26 AM

India’s finance minister, P. Chidambaram, arrived in Washington, on
Tuesday, for a four-day visit to pitch India as a business destination to
U.S. investors, at a time when the once-strong economy is down on its
knees and the Indian currency has depreciated to new lows against the
dollar.

<SNIP>

The finance minister is expected to address criticism from U.S. lawmakers,
who say that India does not have adequate provisions for protecting
intellectual property rights, after Swiss pharmaceutical giant Novartis AG
 lost a case in India’s Supreme Court, in April, to secure a patent
protection for its cancer drug, Glivec. The benchmark decision was panned
as a major discouragement for foreign companies planning to tap the Indian
market.