[A2k] India' statement on LDC extension of Transition Period

Sangeeta Shashikant ssangeeta at myjaring.net
Fri Jun 14 15:29:17 PDT 2013

Intervention by India on TRIPS Extension for LDCs

Mr. Chairman,

            India has consistently supported the LDCs request for an
extension in the transition period under Article 66.1 of the TRIPS Agreement
without any conditionalities.

            The compromise decision reached today, to grant an extension of
8 years, is far removed from the legitimate request of the LDCs for a
transition period for as long as they remain LDCs. This would have allowed
the LDCs much needed time to address the extensive development and
technological challenges facing them. Regrettably, despite overwhelming
support from developing countries and a few developed countries, an outcome
has been negotiated which is a derogation from the provisions of Article
66.1.

            Nevertheless, since the compromise decision represented a step
forward from the 2005 decision, India joined the consensus on adopting the
decision to grant an extension to LDCs under Article 66.1 of the TRIPS
Agreement.

            We would, however, like to point out our systemic concern about
the process adopted in reaching this decision which was negotiated between a
small group of countries, to the exclusion of the larger membership. This
would no doubt have broader implications for negotiations in other areas as
well and is something that is best avoided in the interest of the system and
its membership.

            We hope that any future request by the LDCs for extending the
transition period for pharmaceuticals which will expire in 2016, would be
looked at in a positive manner without any conditionalities being imposed on
them.

            Thank you.