[A2k] Trade negotiations and the EU’s strategic interests

Ante Wessels ante at ffii.org
Tue Nov 12 03:18:08 PST 2013

Trade negotiations and the EU’s strategic interests
http://acta.ffii.org/?p=1961
with links

November 12, 2013
By Ante

This week the EU and US hold a second round of trade
negotiations.

The military and economic power of states depend on their key
industries. Both the EU and US want to strengthen their
industries, they carefully listen to them.

But a corporate agenda is not the same as a strategic interests
agenda. For instance, trading away our policy space, access to
medicines, our ability to fight climate change, or transferring
sovereignty to corporations does not serve the EU’s strategic
interests.

The EU Commission makes a mistake. It negotiates in secret. This
may make negotiations more simple, but as multinationals are
much better informed and listened to than civil society and
citizens, there is a serious risk the end result will be
unbalanced and will harm the EU’s strategic interests.

Openness and citizens’ participation would serve the EU’s
strategic interests and human values. Secrecy weakens the EU.