[A2k] USTR FOIA, 127 pages of emails between industry and USTR TPP negotiators

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Wed Nov 27 07:01:25 PST 2013

USTR FOIA, 127 pages of emails between industry and USTR TPP negotiators

Earlier this year, IP-Watch submitted two FOIA requests to USTR about the
TPP negotiation. I am attaching two letters from USTR to IP-Watch about the
FOIAs, and a file with 127 pages of emails between USTR and various
industry lobbyists. A lot has clearly been withheld by USTR. According to
USTR's June 19, 2013 letter to IP-Watch

"We agreed to search for communications between USTR and the members the
ITACs you identified above and to segregate any releasable communications
from those that qualify for protection under FOIA exemption (b)(5) as
deliberative communications and/or exemption (b)(4) which shields third
party commercial and/or financial information from disclosure. Accordingly,
We conducted a detailed review of email messages and attachments and
located two hundred ninety-eight (298) responsive emails/ attachments. Of
these, we are releasing in part seventy-seven (77) emails/attachments
amounting to one hundred and twenty-seven (127) pages of electronic
correspondence. . . .We are withholding the remaining two hundred
twenty-one (221) emails/attachments in full as deliberative process under 5
U.S.C. 552(b)(5) with thirteen (13) of these emails also Withheld under 5
USC. 552(b)(4) as business confidential."

The emails that were released by USTR do not reveal much in terms of the
substantive positions. But they are impossible to read and not appreciate
the massive access by the Industry to the negotiation through USTR.

Source URL: http://keionline.org/node/1833

Links:
[2] http://keionline.org/sites/default/files/IP Watch-3-19-13-Response.pdf
[3] http://keionline.org/sites/default/files/IPWatch-6-19-13-Response.pdf
[4] http://keionline.org/sites/default/files/IP-WATCH-Final-Release.pdf

http://www.keionline.org, KEI DC tel: +1.202.332.2670, US Mobile:
+1.202.361.3040, Geneva Mobile: +41.76.413.6584,   twitter.com/jamie_love