[A2k] IP-Watch-WIPO Annual Assembly Breaks Down; Extraordinary Meeting Eyed For December

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Thu Oct 3 02:32:59 PDT 2013

http://www.ip-watch.org/2013/10/03/wipo-annual-assembly-breaks-down-extraordinary-meeting-eyed-for-december/

<SNIP>

Delegates seemed stunned by the inability to finish the Assemblies. At a
few minutes before midnight, the Assembly chair called regional
coordinators to the podium to discuss with Gurry and his team. The decision
was to hold an extraordinary General Assembly sometime in December to
finish the remaining items (not reopen decided items). Delegates noted the
possible conflict with the World Trade Organization Bali ministerial in
early December.

“It’s a pity. We were close,” a delegate told *Intellectual Property
Watch* after
the meeting.

“It’s a disaster,” said another. “I’ve been coming to the Assemblies for
five or six years and I’ve never seen anything like this.”

“There is a serious problem of governance,” the delegate of France said
during the plenary, when WIPO is finishing work at midnight and more
critical human rights meetings can get done earlier.

South Korea agreed with France, saying, “I’m sorry, this really is a crisis
of the governance.”

However, several delegations stepped up to defend the WIPO secretariat.
India, Ghana and others said that if the work was not done it was the fault
of member states who could not finish, and that blame should not be shifted
to the secretariat.