[A2k] clarification re deadline for green paper comments & link to register

Manon Ress manon.ress at keionline.org
Mon Oct 7 08:10:03 PDT 2013

To register for October 30 public event
https://www.signup4.net/public/ap.aspx?EID=IPTF23E&OID=145

Clarification for deadline:
QUOTE:
Some questions have been raised about the relationship of the two separate
dates for comment submission provided in our Federal Register Notice. We
invited early comments to be filed by October 15, 2013, in order to allow
them to be read prior to the October 30th public meeting and to inform the
discussion there. But this was not a deadline either for submissions or for
enabling participation in the meeting. Anyone can still participate in the
meeting even if they don’t submit comments by October 15th. The actual
deadline for comment submission is two weeks after the meeting, on November
13th.
END OF QUOTE

http://www.uspto.gov/blog/director/entry/when_where_and_how_you
 Friday Oct 04, 2013

When, Where, and How You Can Provide Input on Copyright and Innovation

Guest blog by Chief Policy Officer and Director for International Affairs
Shira Perlmutter

We are moving forward on our promise to solicit your input on copyright
policy and innovation as outlined in the recent U.S. Department of Commerce
Internet Policy Task Force (IPTF) green paper titled Copyright Policy,
Creativity, and Innovation in the Digital Economy and on this blog. You may
have learned from a USPTO press release or a Federal Register Notice from
the USPTO and the National Telecommunications and Information
Administration (NTIA) of an IPTF public meeting that—barring a need to
reschedule due to the current government shutdown—we’re holding on October
30th. We’d very much like to see you there.

As explained in the Federal Register Notice, we are particularly seeking
comments on five specific topics raised in the green paper: (1)
establishing a multistakeholder dialogue on improving the operation of the
notice and takedown system for removing infringing content from the
Internet under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA); (2) the legal
framework for the creation of remixes; (3) the relevance and scope of the
first sale doctrine in the digital environment; (4) the application of
statutory damages in the contexts of individual file sharers and of
secondary liability for large-scale infringement; and (5) the appropriate
role for the government, if any, to help improve the online licensing
environment, including access to comprehensive databases of rights
information.

Some questions have been raised about the relationship of the two separate
dates for comment submission provided in our Federal Register Notice. We
invited early comments to be filed by October 15, 2013, in order to allow
them to be read prior to the October 30th public meeting and to inform the
discussion there. But this was not a deadline either for submissions or for
enabling participation in the meeting. Anyone can still participate in the
meeting even if they don’t submit comments by October 15th. The actual
deadline for comment submission is two weeks after the meeting, on November
13th.

I also want to assure you that there will be ample opportunity for public
participation and comment beyond those dates. We plan to engage in a robust
conversation about these important digital copyright issues, and we
recognize that many interested parties will have a lot to say. The October
30th meeting is intended as an initial exploration of the issues, and will
be structured around moderated panel discussions on each of the five topics
identified in the Federal Register Notice. We are currently developing an
agenda and inviting speakers who will represent a wide range of views.

Our hope is that the October 30th meeting will provide a meaningful and
informative discussion on these topics and serve as a launching pad for the
next phase of our public engagement. We anticipate there will be further
roundtables and other opportunities for input on each of the individual
topics going forward.

Pre-registration for the conference is available online. More information
about the green paper is available at
http://www.uspto.gov/ip/global/copyrights/index.jsp.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions. You can
contact Hollis Robinson or Ben Golant in the Office of Policy and
International Affairs at (571) 272-9300, or hollis.robinson at uspto.gov or
benjamin.golant at uspto.gov. For further information regarding the public
comments, please contact Garrett Levin or Ben Golant at (571) 272-9300, or
garrett.levin at uspto.gov or benjamin.golant at uspto.gov.

We look forward to receiving your comments and seeing you at the conference
on October 30th.
end of quote
--
Manon Ress, Ph.D.