[A2k] [Ip-health] WTO TRIPS Council: Intervention of India on Article 66.2

Baker, Brook b.baker at neu.edu
Mon Oct 14 07:43:01 PDT 2013

The technology transfer discussed in Article 66.2 involves a soft-law directive to rich countries to adopt measures that promote transfer of know-how, technology, and technological production to developing countries.  This obligation has been honored in the breach.

I think the technology transfer that Seth is concerned about is the transfer and commercialization of university and government sponsored research/innovation to commercial entities, especially without any reservation of rights and provisions that ensure affordable access to resulting innovations.

Brook
Professor Brook K. Baker
Health GAP (Global Access Project) &
Northeastern U. School of Law, Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy
Honorary Research Fellow, Faculty of Law, Univ. of KwaZulu Natal, SA
400 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115 USA
(w) 617-373-3217
(c) 617-259-0760