[A2k] Can you send out information about this FREE november 14-15 conference? Thanks.

Susan Aaronson saaronson2 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 28 12:23:35 PDT 2013

Known Knowns and Unknowns about the Internet:  put on by  GWU, the World
Bank, Internet Society, Web Foundation, eBay and others.

**

**

**

*Known-Knowns and Unknowns about the Internet: Measuring the Economic,
Social, and Governance Impact of the Web*

*November 14-15, 2013, Elliott School of International Affairs, GWU*

*1957 E Street, NW.*

*Organizers: Dr. Susan Aaronson, GWU and Karin Alexander, Web Foundation*

*Conference Summary*: Policymakers and netizens alike make broad claims
about the effects of the internet upon economic growth, business,
democracy, governance, and human rights. In recent years, economists
have made significant progress in estimating the impact of the internet
on areas such as economic growth, trade, fiscal policy, and education.
But the progress made by economists has not been matched by scholars,
activists, executives, and policymakers who seek to understand the
internet's effects on governance, cyber security, and on human rights.
We don't know if the Internet has stimulated development or whether the
internet has led to measurable governance improvements. Moreover,
scholars and activists don't yet know how to effectively measure
Internet openness. We will also weigh the evidence that the Internet is
splintering.With this conference, we hope to encourage greater
understanding of metrics to assess our new digital age.

*TO RSVP for this FREE conference, go to **go.gwu.edu/internetecon2013*
<file:///C:%5CUsers%5Csusan%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cgo.gwu.edu%5Cinternetecon2013>**

*Thursday, November 14 (*Times of Panels May Change)**

*9:30-10:30 Session I: What Economists Know and do not Know about the
Internet and Its Impact on the Economy*

Michael Mandel, PPI, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania

Michael Kende, Internet Society

Scott Wallsten, Center on Technology and Policy

*Moderator: *

*10:30-10:45*- Coffee Break

*10:45- 12:15 Session II: World Bank Panel, ICT and Development
--Research on Broadband (all to be invited. *

Michael Minges, World Bank

Raul Katz, Columbia Business School

Phillippa Biggs, ITU / Broadband Commission, invited

John Garrity, CISCO

Moderator: Sonia Jorge, Alliance for Affordable Internet

*Lunch and Keynote Speaker: 12:30-1:30**Aleem Walji, World Bank Institute,*

Delivering on Development: How the Bank uses the Internet and Mobile to
Improve Service Delivery

*1:30-2:45 Session III: What We Know and do not Know about how the Web
is Changing Development *

Dr. Chris Albon, Director of Data Projects Ushahidi

Dr. Simon Schropp, Senior Economist, Sidley Austin

Jane Coffin, Director of Development, Internet Society

*2:45-3: 00 *- Coffee break

*3:45-5:15 Session IV:Has the Internet Helped Citizens and Policymakers
Improve Governance? Are the effects measureable?What new innovations
might be helpful? *

Bhanupriya Rao, Open Data Barometer, India

Tim Davies, Web Foundation, Boston

Brian Bieron, Federal Affairs, eBay

Tiago Peixoto, World Bank

Daniel O'Connor, CCIA, Moderator

*5:15-5:30*-Break

*5:30-6:30 Keynote*

Congressman Jared Polis, (D) Colorado, invited.Congressman Jared Schutz
Polis is an American entrepreneur, philanthropist, and politician.

***********************

*Friday, November 15*

**

*9:30-11:00**Session V:**Can We Measure the Economic Harm of
Cyber-attacks and Cyber-probing? Will the world of cyber-espionage,
theft, and attacks remain opaque and unclear? *

Phillipa Gill, SUNY Stony Brook

Allan Friedman, Governance Studies, Brookings

Mark Mateski, Watermark Institute

*11:30-11:45 - *Coffee break**

*11:45-12:45 Moderated Discussion: Is the Internet Fracturing? Evidence
for or against this claim? Are the effects measurable?*

Professor Laura deNardis, American University

Rob Faris, Director of Research, Berkman Center

Laura and Rob will present evidence and then lead the audience in a
discussion.

*1:00-2:00 Keynote Presentation and Lunch: Danny Sepulveda, Deputy
Assistant Secretary US Department of State, Invited *

Ambassador Daniel A. Sepulveda leads and coordinates the Department's
positions on communications and information policy issues.**

**

*2:00-3:30 Session VI: Can We Measure Internet Openness? If so, what
does that allow us to do?*

**

/Joy Liddicoat/, Association for Progressive Communications, New Zealand

/Karin Alexander/, Web Index, World Wide Web Foundation

Carolina Rossini, New America Foundation, invited

*3:30-4:00 Concluding Remarks: Susan Aaronson, GWU*

**

--
Susan Ariel Aaronson, Ph.D.
Associate Research Professor, Institute of International Economic Policy

http://www.gwu.edu/~elliott/faculty/aaronson.cfm
Please visit the Internet Openness Metric Project Web site:
http://www.gwu.edu/~iiep/governance/internet_openness_metric_project/
Please visit the Trade and the Internet Project Web site:
http://www.gwu.edu/~iiep/governance/taig/

Please visit my SSRN user page: http://ssrn.com/author=1145702