[A2k] National Writers Union meeting with the American Library Association in Washington (on Orphan Works)

Erik Josefsson erik.hjalmar.josefsson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 14:23:18 PDT 2014

I have browsed through this NWU testimony. The opening paragraphs
reminds me of questions that were never properly asked when the Orphan
Works Directive was processed in the EP (e.g. the different effects the
directive would have on publishers and authors):

"The preservation and reuse by writers of our own previous works have
long been central to our creative process and to our ability to earn a
living from our personal repertoires of past work.

The most basic business lesson passed on from each generation of
freelance writers to the next is of the importance of being able to
reuse our own work in new markets and media to generate additional
revenues that sometimes exceed those for the first use of the work; to
build on our own past work to create our own new works; and to preserve
both our work and our rights to it so we are able to engage in and earn
a living from those new uses."

"Those new models are increasingly disintermediated, decentralized, and
digital, facilitated by the vastly increased ease of self-publishing and
direct, peer-to-peer, writer-to-reader distribution."

http://www.nwubook.org/NWU-testimony-reuse-9APR2014.pdf

And there is an event "Copyright in the Digital Age" on Thursday 24
April I wish I could go to:

http://www.nwu-dc.org/content/copyright-digital-age
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/copyright-in-the-digital-age-creators-in-a-landscape-of-google-books-tickets-11200407721

Is anybody going?

NWU is meeting with the American Library Association later on.

Best regards.

//Erik