[A2k] FT- Digital trade: Data?protectionism

Alberto Cerda alberto at derechosdigitales.org
Tue Aug 5 13:06:07 PDT 2014

Thanks for sharing this "piece of art", Thiru.
After reading it, I realize a new meaning for bias.
Although, the arguments seem strong in favor of incorporating a clause for
"free flow of informational goods and services", this article makes several
misleading statements and suggestions. Let me just comment on three of them.
It suggests that this "free flow of information" language has been
introduced to control damages from the Snowden case and to prevent that
some sort of new Axis powers (Brazil, China, and Russia) from adopting laws
that may diminish that flow. But timings do no make sense, since that
language has become binding since 2007 U.S. trade negotiations, not after
Snowden or those countries even suggest such laws. Unless, the USTR is an
oracle and was already anticipating these issues seven years ago.
Noticeable, the text suggests that this is a problem with certain
countries, but it did omit that this language is being pushed by the USTR
to undermine personal data protection laws in place in Australia, Canada,
and to certain extend in the European Union. Of course, the argument seems
more appealing when framing its objectors as the new Axis rather than other
democratic countries that provide better protection for people's privacy
than the U.S.
Part of the article tries to neutralize consumers' concerns, by
highlighting how preventing free flow of information may damages them and
keep them apart from the benefits of e-commerce. But, noticeable, the free
flow of information language does not have for primary purpose serving
consumers but companies that process personal data of their customers. That
clause does not have for purpose preventing that consumers agree to provide
their personal data in exchange for certain goods and services, instead,
the free flow of information language has for purpose allowing companies to
agree in transferring their customer's personal data to overseas (without
asking their customers).
The article is plenty of misrepresentations and misleading ideas and
suggestions, but, I think, these are three of them that should call our
attention.
​Hugs,
A.​

--