[A2k] EIFL draft law on copyright revised and updated

Teresa Hackett teresa.hackett at eifl.net
Tue Dec 2 09:02:42 PST 2014

Dear Amelia,

Thanks for your note. We do indeed know the Wittem Code, and use it in our
advice to librarians when countries are amending their laws.

The differences are mainly due to context. The EIFL document is
international in nature, being aimed in particular at EIFL-partner
developing and transition countries, that are mostly not bound by the
European acquis. (Although I note that the Wittem Code "does on occasion
deviate from the *acquis*"). Ours is much more specific about libraries.
And it has its roots in another document - the WIPO draft law on copyright
that was used by WIPO to advise developing countries. The original project
in 2009 was to improve the WIPO text that was inadequate for libraries and
TRIPS+, so we wanted our document to hue as closely as possible to the WIPO
text, but to make it better for libraries in developing countries.

That said, we're mindful of initiatives by scholars and other groups, and
of streamlining efforts whenever possible. Especially when it helps to
build coalitions across the user community.

Best wishes
Teresa

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Amelia Andersdotter <amelia at andersdotter.cc