[A2k] WTO: Nairobi, Kenya to host 10th WTO Ministerial Conference

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Thu Dec 11 23:43:56 PST 2014

http://www.wto.org/english/news_e/news14_e/minis_10dec14_e.htm

*MINISTERIAL CONFERENCES*

Nairobi, Kenya to host 10th WTO Ministerial Conference

The General Council, on 10 December, agreed that the 10th Ministerial
Conference be held in Nairobi, Kenya from 15 to 18 December 2015. The
chair, Ambassador Jonathan Fried, warmly thanked and congratulated Foreign
Minister Amina Mohamed and the Government of Kenya for their successful
offer. He noted that he had previously informed delegations of Turkey’s
decision to withdraw its offer to host the Conference in favour of Kenya,
and thanked Turkey for its constructive spirit during the whole process.

Statement by Chair of the General Council

At the General Council meeting in October, I reported that a third round of
consultations was taking place to ascertain Members’ views with respect to
the two potential hosts for the Conference — Turkey and Kenya.

A total of 94 delegations came forward to consult with me or express their
views, either in person, or by phone, or through *note verbales*. Let me
add that my understanding is that those delegations that did not express a
view are neutral and I have ascertained that this is the case.

On Wednesday last  week, I circulated — at the request of Turkey — a
communication to all Members, in which the Government of Turkey informed
the membership — after relevant consultations with the Minister of Foreign
Affairs and International Trade of Kenya — of Turkey’s decision to withdraw
its offer to host MC10 in favour of Kenya. This communication was also
circulated as WT/GC/166 in the three WTO languages.

You will recall that, following Turkey’s communication, I convened an
Informal General Council meeting at the level of Heads of Delegation last
Friday, 5 December.

Allow me at this point, in my capacity as General Council Chairman and in
my personal capacity, to express my deepest gratitude to the Government of
Turkey for its offer, and to the entire Delegation of Turkey for its
dignified engagement during the whole process and for its constructive
spirit throughout.  The organization is very much in your debt.  I would
also like to pay tribute in particular to Ambassador Haluk Ilicak for his
personal commitment to the smooth conduct of this process, and for his
endless support to the organization as a whole.

As I noted at the Informal HODs meeting last Friday, the offer of the other
potential candidate, Kenya, has been favourably received by the membership
as a whole since the beginning of the process. Kenya has indeed proved to
be attracting consensus throughout my consultations, and it is therefore in
that spirit of consensus that I believe that the General Council is now in
a position to take a decision on this matter.

Regarding the date of the Conference, during my consultations, several
delegations stressed the importance to avoid any overlap with the UNFCCC
Conference that will be held in Paris from 30 November to 11 December 2015.
As a result, and also in light of my consultations, it appears that the
most suitable date for MC10 is the period from 15 to 18 December 2015.

Therefore, unless there is any objection, I would like to propose that the
General Council formally agrees that the Tenth Session of the WTO
Ministerial Conference be held in *Nairobi, Kenya, from 15 to 18 December
2015.*

*[The General Council so agrees.]*

Thank you. Let me warmly thank and congratulate Minister Amina Mohamed and
the Government of Kenya for their successful offer. I would also like to
express my appreciation to Amb John OTACHI KAKONGE for his personal
contribution to the efficient conduct of the process. And I would like to
thank most sincerely the whole Membership for participating in this
important endeavour with a very constructive spirit.

Kenya’s offer is a clear sign of its commitment towards this organization.
As the host of the MC10, I am sure Kenya can count on the support of the
whole membership in working together towards a successful Ministerial
Conference.

With these words, I would now like to invite Minister Amina Mohamed to
address the General Council