[A2k] Taking T.B.M. in vain

Peter Jaszi pjaszi at wcl.american.edu
Tue Feb 18 07:20:12 PST 2014

The Macauly references are interesting.  The most famous passage from
the scholar/author/statesman's 1841 House of Commons speech on term
extension goes like this:

"We have, then, only one resource left. We must betake ourselves to
copyright, be the inconveniences of copyright what they may. Those
inconveniences, in truth, are neither few nor small. Copyright is
monopoly, and produces all the effects which the general voice of
mankind attributes to monopoly. My honorable and learned friend talks
very contemptuously of those who are led away by the theory that
monopoly makes things dear. That monopoly makes things dear is certainly
a theory, as all the great truths which have been established by the
experience of all ages and nations, and which are taken for granted in
all reasonings, may be said to be theories. It is a theory in the same
sense in which it is a theory, that day and night follow each other,
that lead is heavier than water, that bread nourishes, that arsenic
poisons, that alcohol intoxicates. If, as my honorable and learned
friend seems to think, the whole world is in the wrong on this point, if
the real effect of monopoly is to make articles good and cheap, why does
he stop short in his career of change? Why does he limit the operation
of so salutary a principle to sixty years? Why does he consent to
anything short of a perpetuity? He told us that in consenting to
anything short of a perpetuity he was making a compromise between
extreme right and expediency. But if his opinion about monopoly be
correct, extreme right and expediency would coincide. Or rather why
should we not restore the monopoly of the East India trade to the East
India Company? Why should we no revive all those old monopolies which,
in Elizabeth's reign, galled our fathers so severely that, maddened by
intolerable wrong, they opposed to their sovereign a resistance before
which her haughty spirit quailed for the first and for the last time?
Was it the cheapness and excellence of commodities that then so
violently stirred the indignation of the English people? I believe, Sir,
that I may safely take it for granted that the effect of monopoly
generally is to make articles scarce, to make them dear, and to make
them bad. And I may with equal safety challenge my honorable friend to
find out any distinction between copyright and other privileges of the
same kind; any reason why a monopoly of books should produce an effect
directly the reverse of that which was produced by the East India
Companys monopoly of tea, or by Lord Essexs monopoly of sweet wines.
Thus, then, stands the case. It is good that authors should be
remunerated; and the least exceptionable way of remunerating them is by
a monopoly. Yet monopoly is an evil. For the sake of the good we must
submit to the evil but the evil ought not to last a day longer than is
necessary for the purpose of securing the good."

The tone is rather difference from what the Attorney-General suggests.

More striking still is the claim that Macauly (1800-1859) had something
to do with the 1709 Statute of Anne.

Hmmm.