[A2k] Alexander Bolton: Reid rejects Obama's trade power

Manon Ress manon.ress at keionline.org
Wed Jan 29 11:52:33 PST 2014

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/196853-reid-rejects-obamas-plea-for-trade-power

Reid rejects Obama's trade power
By Alexander Bolton - 01/29/14 01:54 PM EST

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Wednesday he is not
inclined to put trade promotion authority on the floor, less than 24 hours
after President Obama called for action on the legislation.

Reid made clear he is opposed to the trade promotion bill -- sometimes
called "fast track," which labor unions staunchly oppose.

"I'm against fast track," Reid said of the enhanced trade authority bill
drafted by Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) that would speed
up congressional consideration of trade deals.

Reid said he might not even let the bill come to the floor.

"We'll see," he said. "Everyone would be well advised just to not push this
right now."

"Everyone knows how I feel about this. Sen. Baucus knows. Sen. [Ron] Wyden
[D-Ore.] knows," he said in reference to the incoming chairman of the
powerful Finance panel.

Obama exhorted Congress Tuesday evening to act on the proposal.

"We need to work together on tools like bipartisan trade promotion
authority to protect our workers, protect our environment, and open new
markets to new goods stamped 'Made in the USA,' " Obama said in the State
of the Union address.

"China and Europe aren't standing on the sidelines. Neither should we," the
president added.

Read more:
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/196853-reid-rejects-obamas-plea-for-trade-power#ixzz2ropXufUn

--