[A2k] Quotes by Juncker on TTIP

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Tue Jul 15 09:27:06 PDT 2014

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/eu-elections-2014/parliament-elects-politically-ecumenical-juncker-commission-president

<SNIP>

"I want a reasonable and balanced trade agreement with the US. But I will
not sacrifice Europe's safety, health, social and data protection
standards, or our cultural diversity, on the altar of free trade," Juncker
said.

He also said that without transparency, TTIP was doomed, and appealed for
the most relevant texts concerning the negotiations to be published. He
also said he would make sure that the EU lobbyist register would become
mandatory.

--

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/15/us-eu-commission-juncker-idUSKBN0FK0R420140715

He also promised greater transparency in talks between the United States
and the European Union to establish a trade and investment pact, which face
strong public opposition in some EU countries.

"If we don't publish the related documents ... this treaty will fail. It
will fail in the eyes of public opinion," he said, vowing to defend
European health, labour and environmental standards in the negotiations.