[A2k] Civil society letter on TPP copyright term extension

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Thu Jun 26 18:04:42 PDT 2014

Hello all,

The Our Fair Deal coalition (http://www.ourfairdeal.org) has released an open letter open for sign-on, to address the threat of the TPP extending the copyright term by another 20 years in those countries that haven't already done so, thereby sacrificing access to 20 years worth of public domain materials by libraries, archives, creators and consumers.  The letter will be presented to negotiators at the Ottawa round.

The brief one-page letter is accompanied by a one-page fact sheet.  The letter explains why copyright term extension is such a senseless idea, and the fact sheet debunks some of the myths that rights-holders often repeat in favour of extension.  On a separate page, there is a diagram (referred to in the fact sheet) that shows just how complex it is to determine when copyright actually expires, even within a single country, the USA - a problem that the extension of copyright would not solve.

Our target signatories for this letter are civil society groups and other non-profit stakeholders including libraries, archives, educators, student groups, and so on.  Here is the link to the sign-on form and the letter itself (sorry for sending an incorrect link in a previous mail to the Fair Deal list):

https://docs.google.com/a/openmedia.ca/forms/d/16J2GbQ635uZ0K0YMkKPB2eJ9_Co-IYsSFmOya57eXvo/viewform

The deadline to sign on is Sunday, July 6th.

If you have contacts at any organisations or institutions that make use of the public domain, we would be grateful if you would forward the letter to them with a request that they consider signing.

Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
Electronic Frontier Foundation
https://eff.org