[A2k] TTIP, Polish Ministry of Economy: Text of the treaty will be published after the signinig

Paweł Stankiewicz pawelstankiewicz at nowoczesnapolska.org.pl
Fri Mar 28 04:47:49 PDT 2014

http://prawokultury.pl/en/news/TTIP-text-of-the-treaty-will-be-published-after-th/

Over a month ago, the Modern Poland Foundation posed two questions to
the Ministry of Economy regarding the currently negotiated TTIP treaty:

    1. What is the current shape of the Transatlantic Trade and
    Investment Partnership (TTIP) treaty in the context of exclusive
    rights to intangible goods (in other words so called intellectual
    property rights)? We are particularly interested in prescriptions
    concerning the copyright law.

    2. What is the Polish negotiating position regarding the
    prescriptions concerning intellectual property rights?

On the 25th of March we received the following response from the
Ministry of Economy
<http://prawokultury.pl/media/entry/attach/odpowiedzMG_TTIP.PDF>:

    Dear Mr President,

    In reference to your enquiry from the 12th of February 2014, I
    kindly inform you that the talks regarding intellectual property
    laws (IPR) within the TTIP are not advanced at the very moment.
    Until now, the USA and the EU were concentrated on the general range
    of the TTIP and the analysis of the partners’ positions in
    particular areas of the treaty.

    However, it should be pointed out that all the information the EU
    member states obtained from the European Commission is classified
    and it is not possible to pass it on outside the state
    administration. This also concerns the Foundation’s request to
    access the text of the chapter on IPR and the Polish stance in this
    matter.

    In compliance with the EU practices, the text of the treaty will be
    made available only in the final stage of the negotiations, after
    the signing of the document by both parties.

    Yours sincerely,
    Minister
    Grażyna Henclewska
    Deputy Minister of Economy

The last sentence appears to be particularly interesting in the context
of the Polish experience with ACTA. One of the accusations towards the
treaty is that it will impede any possible changes to the current
copyright system, especially with regards to the potential extension of
fair use and users’ rights
<http://wyborcza.biz/biznes/1,101562,11028093,ACTA_odbiera_nadzieje_na_zmiany.html>.
It seems that we will witness a similar situation with the TTIP. Social
organizations insist on removing from the treaty any matters related
with exclusive rights to intangible goods, including copyright. We
believe that they should be analyzed and streamlined by the dedicated
organizations and treaties, i.e. WIPO and the Berne Convention, while
all countries should be free to their shape exclusive rights in
accordance with their citizens’ interests.

--
Paweł Stankiewicz
http://prawokultury.pl/

- - -
Fundacja Nowoczesna Polska
ul. Marszałkowska 84/92 lok. 125
00-514 Warszawa
tel./fax: +48 22 621 30 17
e-mail: fundacja at nowoczesnapolska.org.pl
www.nowoczesnapolska.org.pl

Organizacja Pożytku Publicznego
Sąd Rejestrowy dla M.St. Warszawy w Warszawie,
XII Wydział Gospodarczy KRS 0000070056
NIP 952-18-77-087