[A2k] EIFL draft law on copyright revised and updated

Teresa Hackett teresa.hackett at eifl.net
Tue Nov 18 07:32:32 PST 2014

Colleagues:

After five years, it was time to update the 2009 EIFL Draft Law on
Copyright in the light of legislative developments, current thinking on
copyright policy, and library services enabled by new technologies.

As a result, we have amended some of the exceptions and limitations, while
introducing new provisions. We have also refreshed the layout and design of
the document.

The EIFL Draft Law on Copyright including Model Exceptions and Limitations
for Libraries and their Users (2014) is a practical guide to assist
librarians, as well as their legal advisors and policy-makers, when
national laws are being updated. It is designed to support access to
knowledge and the public interest mission of libraries.

The provisions apply fully to the digital environment, and contain
important measures needed for preservation, inter-library document supply,
orphan works, translations, and text and data mining, among other
activities. It also includes a flexible exception to 'future proof' the law
for technological advances. Each exception and limitation is accompanied by
a short explanatory note that describes the policy goal of the provision
and examples of its effect.

Comments and feedback are welcome. We hope it will continue to be a useful
resource for librarians and policy-makers alike.

Read about the EIFL draft law on copyright (2014) here,
http://www.eifl.net/eifl-draft-law-copyright

Download the EIFL Draft Law on Copyright (pdf format) (2MB),
http://www.eifl.net/system/files/201411/eifl_draft_law_2014.pdf

Thank you.
Teresa