[A2k] Taking part in Open Access Week, Oct 20-26

Maira Sutton maira at eff.org
Mon Oct 6 12:18:04 PDT 2014

Hi there,

I wanted to invite any organization, especially those working on digital rights and access to knowledge, to take part in Open Access Week on October 20-26. Open Access Week is about connecting global momentum toward open sharing with the advancement of constructive policy changes on the local level.

We've written up a little blurb about ways people could get involved <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/10/knowledge-should-not-be-trapped-behind-paywall-get-ready-open-access-week>. If you let me know what your organization plans on doing, we can make sure to include it on our round-up of activities and articles, and promote it from our side.

We also recently launched an action around Diego Gomez <https://act.eff.org/action/let-s-stand-together-to-promote-open-access-worldwide>, the Colombian master's student who is facing 8 years in prison for sharing a scholarly paper online. With his support, we're using the news to build support around the ideals and importance of open access. This action was co-launched by Creative Commons, the Right to Research Coalition, the Open Access Button, and Fundación Karisma---the Colombian digital rights organization that is helping Diego in court.

Is your organization interested in endorsing this action? If so, all you need to do is send us your logo and spread the word about the action---whether that means tweeting, blogging, or emailing your members.

Here's a link to the action:
https://act.eff.org/action/let-s-stand-together-to-promote-open-access-worldwide

And our blog posts we've written about Diego's situation and this action:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/09/support-diego-gomez-and-join-global-open-access-movement
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/07/colombian-student-faces-prison-charges-sharing-academic-article-online
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/08/front-lines-open-access-fight-colombian-students-prosecution-highlights-need

Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Maira

--
Maira Sutton