[A2k] WIPO GA EIFL/IFLA general statement

Teresa Hackett teresa.hackett at eifl.net
Tue Sep 23 08:25:19 PDT 2014

Assemblies of the Member States of WIPO: Fifty-Fourth Series of Meetings

September 22 to September 30, 2014 (Geneva, Switzerland)

AGENDA ITEM 5

GENERAL STATEMENT

ELECTRONIC INFORMATION FOR LIBRARIES (EIFL)
AND
INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF LIBRARY ASSOCIATIONS
AND INSTITUTIONS

I am speaking on behalf of Electronic Information for Libraries (EIFL),
that partners with libraries and library consortia in more than 60
developing and transition economy countries in Africa, Asia, and Europe to
enable access to digital information, and IFLA, the International
Federation of Library Associations and Institutions, that represents over
750,000 library and information professionals in more than 150 countries.

We will focus our statement on the work of the Standing Committee on
Copyright and Related Rights (SCCR).

We thank Member States for engaging with libraries at SCCR, in particular
for the proposals on key topics that affect core activities, such as
preservation of national cultural heritage.

We believe that norm setting activities at WIPO should be problem-related
and evidence-based. This is why librarians and archivists from
organizations spanning Africa, Australia, Canada, Europe, Latin America,
and the United States came to SCCR sessions this year to present dozens of
real situations describing legal obstacles faced when doing their work in
support of access to knowledge and education.

In particular, these concrete examples illustrate a clear cross-border
dimension, because library and archive collections in one country often
contain materials of cultural and historical significance to people in
other countries.

M. President, we believe in the value of the multilateral system that can
deliver for people everywhere, regardless of economic circumstance or stage
of development. That can support institutions, such as libraries and
archives serving the public interest. That can insulate from pressures that
may otherwise occur in bilateral circumstances, as raised yesterday by the
distinguished delegate of India.

To conclude, we respectfully request that the Assembly adopts a decision on
the future work of SCCR that accords equal commitment to all the topics on
the agenda, that includes limitations and exceptions for libraries and
archives, education and persons with other disabilities, in line with the
mandate of the General Assembly to mainstream Development Agenda
recommendations into the work of relevant WIPO bodies.

Thank you for your attention.

Contacts at the WIPO General Assemblies 2014:

Teresa Hackett, EIFL. Email: <teresa.hackett AT eifl.net>.
Stuart Hamilton, IFLA. Email: <stuart.hamilton AT ifla.org>.
Barbara Stratton, IFLA. Email: <Barbara.Stratton1 AT gmail.com>.

-----
Teresa Hackett
EIFL-IP Programme Manager
www.eifl.net/copyright