[A2k] Unacceptable Surveillance of French Citizens soon to be Adopted!
La Quadrature du Net
contact at laquadrature.net
Fri Apr 17 04:14:56 PDT 2015
Themes: FRENCH INTELLIGENCE BILL, FREE SPEECH, NET FILTERING, MANUEL VALLS, FRANÇOIS HOLLANDE, BERNARD CAZENEUVE
La Quadrature du Net – For immediate release
Permanent link: https://www.laquadrature.net/en/unacceptable-surveillance-of-french-citizens-soon-to-be-adopted
Unacceptable Surveillance of French Citizens soon to be Adopted!
*** Paris, 17 April 2015 — The examination of French Intelligence Bill ended this Thursday. After 4 days of debate, very few enhancements were made to a text that was denounced by an incredibly large number of groups for its dangerous, intrusive and liberty-infringing nature and whose control dispositions are totally inadequate. La Quadrature du Net calls on French representatives to listen to the citizens' demands to reject this text during the final vote on 5 May. ***
On 5 May, the final version of Intelligence Bill will be submitted to the National Assembly for adoption during a solemn vote. It will then be sent to the Senate for a single reading, as required by the emergency procedure
Whereas many questions raised during the public discussion did not receive satisfying answers from the Government and the Parliament, the main worrying elements of the text were all adopted:
* mass legalisation of Intelligence services illegal practices, allowing for surveillance both very wide and very intrusive of the privacy of citizens, as well as very long retention periods of the collected data
* extension of the scope of Interior and Foreign Intelligence, with extremely far-reaching and democratically dangerous purposes
* provisions allowing the generalised collection of citizens' data on the Internet in order to sort “suspicious behaviours” through algorithms 
* establishment of an “international surveillance”  regime for communications “broadcasted or received abroad”, which will therefore massively impact French residents and bypass the weak safeguards afforded for national surveillance
* implementation of a control commission which only has a consultative opinion on the interception requests. Those requests remain in the hands of the political power (French Prime Minister).
The too few representatives who opposed rapporteur Urvoas and Interior, Justice and Defense Ministers have received evasive or vague answers to their very precise questions on technical and legal details.
The government, facing persistent opposition from both inside and outside of the Parliament, tried many times during the week to regain control of the situation. For instance, it extended the number of MPs that make up the future CNCTR . It also accepted to exempt protected professions from emergency procedures  and met with a group of large French webhosters so it could then pretend to amend the article which allows for installing spying devices on the network. In no way can these cosmetic and opportunistic modifications satisfy the defenders of public liberties. The text's general balance was not updated and it remains unacceptable in a democracy.
“During the vote on next 5 May, French representatives must reject this bill. They were forced by the government to examine at a breakneck speed a law supposed to give a general framework to French Intelligence services and which will have a great impact on public liberties. We invite citizens to contact one by one their Members of Parliament during the next two weeks until the solemn vote in order to convince them to vote against this law.” declared Philippe Aigrain, co-founder of La Quadrature du Net.
* References *
3. The Commission Nationale de Controle des Techniques de Renseignement (CNCTR), or National Control Commission of Intelligence Technics, is the independant administration in charge of controlling the use and set-up of surveillance methods.
** About La Quadrature du Net **
La Quadrature du Net is an advocacy group that defends the rights and freedoms of citizens on the Internet. More specifically, it advocates for the adaptation of French and European legislations to respect the founding principles of the Internet, most notably the free circulation of knowledge.
In addition to its advocacy work, the group also aims to foster a better understanding of legislative processes among citizens. Through specific and pertinent information and tools, La Quadrature du Net hopes to encourage citizens' participation in the public debate on rights and freedoms in the digital age.
La Quadrature du Net is supported by French, European and international NGOs including the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the Open Society Institute and Privacy International.
List of supporting organisations: https://www.laquadrature.net/en/they-support-la-quadrature-du-net
** Press contact and press room **
contact at laquadrature.net, +33 (0)972 294 426
More information about the A2k