[A2k] Borghino promoted to IPA lead role | The Bookseller

Chris Friend chrisfriend2013 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 07:17:02 PDT 2015

FYI, Chris http://www.thebookseller.com/news/borghino-promoted-ipa-lead-role-309335

Borghino promoted to IPA lead role

The International Publishers Association has promoted policy director Jose Borghino to the secretary general position, replacing outgoing Jens Bammel.

Borghino joined the IPA in 2013, from a background at the Australian Publishers Association, where he was manager of industry representation. He was previously lecturer in journalism at the university of Sydney, executive director of the Australian Society of Authors, and held senior positions at the Literature Board of the Australia Council.

In his role as policy director he has formulated and refined the organisation’s policy positions as well as consulting and communicating with publishing industry representatives around the world about their lobbying and related campaigns. He has expanded the IPA’s activities around educational publishing, including the IPA Educational Publishers Forum and the annual “What Works?” conference. He also managed the IPA’s Freedom to Publish Prize.

Borghino will report to IPA president Richard Charkin and the IPA executive committee.

Charkin said: "Whilst, as most commentators say, publishing has many challenges, we should not forget how lucky we are as an industry in attracting the very best people. With this appointment we have been able to build on the prior success of IPA and look forward to a further era of creative engagement and support for the global publishing industry."

Borghino said: “The challenge to old business models that digitisation ushered in a decade ago is by no means over, and publishers must remain nimble and flexible. The IPA is the global publishing industry’s indispensable frontline defender in the face of multiple challenges and I look forward to leading the IPA team at this important time.”

Charkin said the IPA would be discussing whether to appoint a replacement policy director "over the next few weeks."

Another of Borghino's early decisions in his new role will be on a replacement for communications director Dougal Thomson, who has left the IPA to take up a position at a university in Geneva.

The next IPA Congress will take place in London in April.

international
IPA
International Publishers Associations
Jose Borghino
Jens Bammel
Jobs
people and moves

Christopher Friend

WBU Technical Advisor for the Marrakesh Treaty
M: +44 7919 552170
E: chrisfriend2013 at gmail.com
S: ssicfriend