[A2k] RFC re the Hague declaration (TDM)

Manon Ress manon.ress at keionline.org
Tue Feb 10 09:16:57 PST 2015

How are we going to deal with the "data deluge" question?

background:
quote:
In the current era, we are producing data in far greater quantities than
ever before.

Harnessing the data deluge has been recognised as having the potential to
help find solutions for some of society's biggest challenges, such as
climate change, health and demographic change, depleting natural resources,
and globalisation.

Whilst the benefits of access to data and the use of techniques such as
Text and Data Mining (TDM) to analyse data have been widely acknowledged,
the reality  is that there are major barriers preventing access to and
exploitation of data. These issues include a lack of legal certainty,
restrictive licences provided by publishers, a skills gap and a lack of
infrastructure.

This situation has created a need to foster agreement across disciplines
and sectors about the real benefits of TDM. We need a strategy for the way
forward in terms of creating the conditions for realising these benefits in
a way that ensures a positive societal impact.

For this reason, 25 global experts gathered in The Hague on 9-10 December
2014 to write the Hague Declaration. Our belief is that this Declaration
will help shape ethical research practice, legislative reform and the
development of open access policies and infrastructure.

[...]

quote:  The Hague Declaration aims to foster agreement about how to best
enable access to facts, data and ideas for knowledge discovery in the
Digital Age. It is currently in draft form and we invite your comments on
the text. The final Declaration will help remove barriers to accessing and
analysing the wealth of data already produced by society. This will, in
turn, help to find answers to great challenges such as climate change,
depleting natural resources and globalisation. Read the Declaration:

http://thehaguedeclaration.com/

--
Manon Ress, Ph.D.
Knowledge Ecology International, KEI