[A2k] Statement from Senator Bernie Sanders: Sanders Contrasts U.S. Trade Secrecy to EU Transparency

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Fri Jan 9 01:53:07 PST 2015

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-contrasts-us-trade-secrecy-to-eu-transparency

Sanders Contrasts U.S. Trade Secrecy to EU TransparencyWednesday, January
7, 2015

WASHINGTON, Jan. 7 – Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) today challenged the trade
representative for the United States to follow the example of the European
Union and stop hiding details of a proposed 12-nation Trans-Pacific
Partnership trade agreement.

“It is time for American trade negotiators to stop operating in the shadows
and come clean with details of an agreement that would almost certainly
throw more American workers out of jobs and shift more manufacturing to
low-wage countries overseas,” Sanders said.

In Brussels today, the European Commission today published documents
setting out EU proposals for a Transatlantic Trade and Investment
Partnership that it is negotiating with the United States. The commission
also posted an online guide
<http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/press/index.cfm?id=1230> to the document.

Sanders cited the Europeans’ openness in renewing his call for U.S. Trade
Representative Michael Froman to at least turn over to the senator the full
text of a proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement that has been
negotiated in secret with input from corporations which stand to profit on
the deal.

Earlier this week, Sanders wrote a letter
<http://www.sanders.senate.gov/download/letter-to-united-states-trade-representative?inline=file>
 to Froman asking for the document that Congress could soon be asked to
approve.

“It is incomprehensible to me that the leaders of major corporate interests
who stand to gain enormous financial benefits from this agreement are
actively involved in the writing of the TPP while, at the same time, the
elected officials of this country, representing the American people, have
little or no knowledge as to what is in it,” Sanders said in the letter.
“In my view, this is simply unacceptable.”