[A2k] Future of Copyright

Jeremy de Beer jeremy.debeer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 07:56:43 PST 2015

Congratulations to the authors of this work for their innovative and very useful work! The A2K community could benefit from further studies like this.

My co-authors and I assess Presenting Thinking About the Future of Intellectual Property <http://script-ed.org/?p=1349> in a recent article, published in SCRIPTed.

Foresight methods were used for some work sponsored by the Rockefeller Foundation (in the Bellagio Dialogues) in the early days of the A2K movement, and indeed some of that work helped to shape proposals for WIPO's Development Agenda. And not long after its adoption, a number of subscribers to this list participated in a workshop about the Development Agenda's future <http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1726153>. Those of you at last year's Global Congress in Cape Town will have also learned about the Open AIR network's research, Knowledge and Innovation in Africa: Scenarios for the Future <http://www.openair.org.za/content/knowledge-innovation-africa-scenarios-future>.

Debbie Halbert has been a leader in the field with articles such as this <http://www.academia.edu/6900230/_The_World_Intellectual_Property_Organization_Past_Present_and_Future_>, and Graham Dutfield and Tzen Wong's book on current trends and future scenarios for IP and human development <http://www.cambridge.org/ca/academic/subjects/law/intellectual-property/intellectual-property-and-human-development-current-trends-and-future-scenarios> is also a must-read.

The point is that we should all take this new -- and rare -- work by the Modern Poland Foundation seriously, using it not only for its strategic planning value, but also as methodological inspiration.

Great job Jaroslaw and team.

*****
Jeremy de Beer

Full Professor | Professeur titulaire
Faculty of Law | Faculté de droit
University of Ottawa | Université d'Ottawa
57 Louis Pasteur Street, Ottawa, ON, CAN, K1N 6N5

T. 613.562.5800 x.3169 | M. 613.263.9155

jeremy.debeer at uottawa.ca | www.jeremydebeer.ca