[A2k] Licensed to fill? Why we need a copyright exception for international document delivery

Teresa Hackett teresa.hackett at eifl.net
Thu Jul 2 08:18:16 PDT 2015

http://www.eifl.net/blogs/licensed-fill-why-copyright-law-needs-permit-international-document-delivery
<http://www.eifl.net/blogs/licensed-fill-why-copyright-law-needs-permit-international-document-delivery>

Licensed to fill? Why we need a copyright exception for international
document delivery

Document delivery is a vital service in meeting the particular information
needs of individual researchers, students and scholars.

In January 2012, the British Library, one of the world’s largest research
libraries, ceased its international document supply service that was
supported by a copyright exception (known as the Overseas Library Privilege
Service), to protect the library from claims of copyright infringement.

The service was replaced with a publisher-approved licensing arrangement,
known as the International Non-Commercial Document Supply (INCD) service.

Data about the new licensed arrangement, obtained by EIFL under a Freedom
of Information request, show that the impact on access to information has
been dramatic.

The case of the British Library illustrates that international document
delivery should be regulated by copyright law, not by licences
 Read more:
http://www.eifl.net/blogs/licensed-fill-why-copyright-law-needs-permit-international-document-delivery