[A2k] Publication: A Commons Approach to European Knowledge Policy

Sophie Bloemen sbloemen at bits-of-information.org
Fri Jul 10 00:59:39 PDT 2015

Dear All,  I would like to share our paper on a Commons approach to
European knowledge policy with you. Apologies for cross posting.

The Commons is a space between private wealth and the political state in
which humanity can democratically govern its most precious wealth: our
planet, our communities and our health.This paper describes how the
commons perspective can contribute to long-overdue EU policy
discussions. It outlines the compelling logic, benefits and ethics of a
commons approach to knowledge, with an emphasis on how that could
improve policy in certain areas such as health, the environment, science
and culture, and the Internet.

A commons approach embraces knowledge as a shared resource and its
management a joint responsibility. Rather than a narrow focus on
intellectual property or economic value alone, this perspective requires
us to attempt a more comprehensive understanding of value and policies
that serve the common good.

Commons thinking takes a community and ecosystem perspective, placing
issues of stewardship, social equity and long-term sustainability at the
forefront of policy. The approach allows us to go beyond a purely
individual rights- and market-oriented worldview: the very perspective
that many consider to be at the root of current economic and
environmental crises. Instead of conceiving of society as a mere
collection of atomized individuals principally living as consumers,
commons thinking points to the reality of people’s lives as deeply
embedded in communities, social relationships and their natural
environment.

As such a commons approach embraces the new opportunities for civic
participation, nonmarket self-provisioning and reduced inequality as
well as greater de-centralized innovation. The perspective points
towards policies that favor open sharing of knowledge and alternative
incentive models that could make medicines far more affordable; generate
more useful, localized environmental technologies; and facilitate more
knowledge transfers to a Global South struggling to meet basic human needs.

Paper:
http://commonsnetwork.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/A-Commons-Approach-to-European-Knowledge-Policy.pdf

Executive Summary:
http://commonsnetwork.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Executive-Summary-The-EU-and-the-Commons-A-Commons-Approach-to-European-Knowledge-Policy-.pdf

/'Europe & the Commons: A Commons Approach to European Knowledge Policy'
is a publication by Commons Network and the Heinrich Böll Foundation./

Best,
Sophie

Sophie Bloemen
Commons Network