[A2k] Mongolia ratifies the Marrakesh Treaty for persons with print disabilities

Teresa Hackett teresa.hackett at eifl.net
Mon Jul 13 04:09:55 PDT 2015

http://eifl.net/news/mongolia-ratifies-marrakesh-treaty-persons-print-disabilities

Mongolia ratifies the Marrakesh Treaty for persons with print disabilities
 EIFL support ‘helped make ratification possible’

EIFL is delighted that Mongolia has become the ninth country to ratify the
Marrakesh Treaty for persons who are blind, visually impaired or otherwise
print disabled. On 9 July 2015, the State Great Hural (Parliament) of
Mongolia voted by an 86% majority to support ratification.

“I am so proud that Mongolia has adopted an international legal standard to
ensure that blind people have the right to read, a basic human right that
librarians know is so important for education, employment and personal
development,” said Baljid Dashdeleg, EIFL Copyright Coordinator, Mongolian
Libraries Consortium.

“In 2014, we decided to advocate for early adoption of the Marrakesh Treaty
by Mongolia,” continued Baljid.

“Over the past year, we raised awareness of the benefits of the treaty,
contributed documents and initiated discussions together with our partners,
the Mongolian National Federation of the Blind, the Daisy Centre at
Ulaanbaatar Public Library and the Ministry of Culture, Sport and Tourism,
in cooperation with the Intellectual Property Office.

“I’m delighted that our hard work has paid off. We are very grateful to
EIFL for their support, without which this work would not have been
possible,” she said.
EIFL supports ratification in partner countries

The goal of the Marrakesh Treaty is to end the book famine – the fact that
only about 7% of published books are made available globally in accessible
formats, such as Braille, audio and large print, and digital formats. The
treaty creates an international legal framework that allows the making of
accessible formats, and the sharing of accessible format copies across
borders.

EIFL supported the World Blind Union in negotiations over five years at the
World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), and participated in the
Diplomatic Conference that led to the adoption in 2013 of the Marrakesh
Treaty.

To complete the work at WIPO, and to fulfil the promise of the right to
read for people with print disabilities, EIFL supports ratification of the
treaty in partner countries, and its implementation into national copyright
law. The Treaty enters into force when it is ratified by 20 countries. So
far, the Marrakesh Treaty has been ratified
<http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ShowResults.jsp?search_what=N&treaty_id=843>
by India, El Salvador, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Mali, Mongolia,
Paraguay, Singapore and Argentina.

“Ratification by Mongolia is another significant step forward in the
Treaty’s global entry into force, when it becomes binding on its members.
It paves the way for a brighter future for people with print disabilities
everywhere. We commend the government of Mongolia for their leadership, and
thank the Mongolian team for their dedication and commitment,” said Teresa
Hackett, EIFL Copyright and Libraries Programme Manager.

EIFL provided a grant of $2,500 to the Mongolian Libraries Consortium to
support ratification of the Marrakesh Treaty in Mongolia. The project began
in June 2014 for a duration of six months.

Read more about how EIFL is supporting ratification of the Marrakesh Treaty
in partner countries, and its implementation into national copyright law
<http://www.eifl.net/eifl-in-action/right-read>.

The Marrakesh Treaty: an EIFL Guide for Libraries
<http://www.eifl.net/resources/marrakesh-treaty-eifl-guide-libraries>.

DAISY readers in Mongolia a legal right - now copyright law must play its
part
<http://www.eifl.net/resources/daisy-readers-mongolia-legal-right-now-copyright-law-must-play-its-part>
.