[A2k] Licensed to fill? Why we need a copyright exception for international document delivery

Teresa Hackett teresa.hackett at eifl.net
Thu Jul 16 08:58:42 PDT 2015

http://eifl.net/blogs/licensed-fill-why-copyright-law-needs-permit-international-document-delivery

This blog post expands on EIFL’s presentation at ‘Libraries and Archives:
Information without Borders’ a lunchtime event held during the 30th session
of WIPO’s Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights (SCCR) that
took place in Geneva from 29 June - 3 July 2015.

Licensed to fill? Why we need a copyright exception for international
document delivery

Document delivery is a vital service in meeting the particular information
needs of individual researchers, students and scholars.

In January 2012, the British Library, one of the world’s largest research
libraries, ceased its international document supply service that was
supported by a copyright exception (known as the Overseas Library Privilege
Service), to protect the library from claims of copyright infringement.

The service was replaced with a publisher-approved licensing arrangement,
known as the International Non-Commercial Document Supply (INCD) service.

Data about the new licensed arrangement, obtained by EIFL under a Freedom
of Information request, show that the impact on access to information has
been dramatic. And why a copyright exception is needed.

Read more:
http://eifl.net/blogs/licensed-fill-why-copyright-law-needs-permit-international-document-delivery