[A2k] Europe Wants 20% European Content on Netflix

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Fri May 27 13:10:19 PDT 2016

Right.  In relation to cable, which came into existence largely in the
80's, we first developed rules where cable had to provide a certain
amount of local programming, then established the precept of
retransmission consent -- for cable and its programming model.  Cable
television providers have had a unique relationship to infrastructure,
being "vertically integrated" from their origins.  It's not a regime
that supports autonomous peers and ready access at the physical layer.
As a legacy from television, adapted to cable, the rules have some
rationality.  As a foundation for the Internet, they don't.  Unless
you no longer want a network of autonomous peers that anyone can
readily join.  However, the US (and the EU is just now getting
explicit on this) has engineered federal policy for Title II
infrastructure so it "looks like" facilities-based/cable/vertically
integrated telecom infra since the start of the 2000's.  Part of what
happened was the network of networks was eliminated (since independent
ISPs couldn't lease the lines on equitable terms), so we now have a
vertically integrated dominant incumbent intranet on both sides, Title
II and cable.  With the network of independent peers gone, our
policymakers have been free to proceed with encouraging the
facilities-based model on both sides, including setting things up so
retransmission consent becomes a legal basis for the broadcasters
treaty.

It's premature to endorse any content-related policy until we get the
actual Internet back.  Then we need to address what that means for
"content"-related policy.