[A2k] CopyCamp 2017 open call for speakers

Krzysztof Siewicz krzysztof.siewicz at nowoczesnapolska.org.pl
Mon May 8 06:45:28 PDT 2017

*Dear All,*

**

*

The Modern Poland Foundation is pleased to inform *the**Open Call for
Speakers* at the 6th International CopyCamp conference (September 28-29,
2017 in Warsaw) has launched.

About CopyCamp

In the last 5 years, we have succeeded in making CopyCamp the biggest
conference about social and economic aspects of copyright in Europe. It
has been the place for a balanced, original, and multi-sided debate.
Over this time, we have facilitated exchange of ideas about exclusive
rights between 250 speakers from all over Europe and abroad.

At CopyCamp we discuss the law, but it is not a legal conference. Our
participants share their stories touching on real-life issues,
questioning popular beliefs that only experts should be concerned with
exclusive rights. Usually, we reach out to people active in culture,
education, science, government and technology. This year we also wish to
invite those active in other areas, for example, health, food or security.

Open call details

We invite our prospective speakers to submit presentation proposals at:
https://copycamp.pl/en/contact/register-speaker/.

Please note: your presentation should not exceed 10 minutes.

Please include an abstract of no more than 1800 characters under one of
the following thematic tracks:

  *

    business models, heritage digitization, remix

What are the boundaries of appropriation in culture? Who owns the past
and whether these exclusive rights allow to control the present and the
future? How to make money from creativity without selling yourself?

  *

    health, food, security, and exclusive rights

In the age when information and its various embodiments are subject to
exclusive rights, who owns medicines and equipment necessary to provide
health care? Who owns grain and machines used to harvest it if they are
protected with patent-like rights or DRM? To what extent exclusive
rights can affect what you eat, how you exercise, or whether you can
apply a specific treatment?

  *

    text and data mining, machine learning, online education

Who owns the data fed to algorithms? Do you own the algorithms you use
to mine this data? What about the inferred knowledge? To what extent
exclusive rights may affect the way you do business or research? What
does it mean to own data about someone, or data necessary for that
person’s education?

  *

    IoT: autonomous cars, smart homes, wearables

What does it mean to own exclusive rights to software and data used to
construct autonomous agents? What can you do with an interconnected
“thing”? What will it mean in a near future for traditional concepts
such as property or personality?

  *

    hacking government data, public procurement, public aid in culture

Who owns information created using public money? How can this
information be appropriated? What is the role of government in the
development of information infrastructure?

Deadline: May 31, 2017

Open call results will be announced by the end of June

The organisers are not capable of covering expenses related with Open
Call speakers’ participation in the CopyCamp conference.

As always, we will be pleased to host all interested parties in a
neutral and friendly space, and encourage participants to share thoughts
and exchange ideas.*

Kind regards,

Krzysztof Siewicz**