[A2k] Three outcomes for libraries at WIPO's SCCR/34

Teresa Hackett teresa.hackett at eifl.net
Tue May 23 02:21:51 PDT 2017

EIFL had two experienced representatives at the World Intellectual Property
Organization’s (WIPO) Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights
(SCCR/34) which met in Geneva from 1-5 May 2017.

Teresa Hackett, EIFL Copyright and Libraries Programme
<http://www.eifl.net/programmes/copyright-and-libraries-programme> Manager
and Awa Cissé, EIFL’s Copyright Coordinator in Senegal
<http://www.eifl.net/coordinators/Awa_C> were on the ground promoting
library interests in copyright matters to member state delegates, working
closely with our international partners in libraries, archives and museums
to advance library copyright issues at WIPO.

There were three concrete outcomes for libraries: a draft action plan on
libraries and archives will be prepared for the next SCCR; the Kenneth D.
Crews 2015 study on limitations and exceptions for libraries and archives
will be updated and the so-called Chair’s informal chart, used as the basis
for discussion on libraries and archives over the last two years, was
allocated a document number.

EIFL delivered two statements (on libraries and archives, and copyright in
the digital environment) and also co-organized a lunch-time event, ‘Fixing
Copyright for Modern Education’, with Communia, Creative Commons and the
American University Washington College of Law.

Read our blog with highlights from a busy week in Geneva
<http://www.eifl.net/blogs/three-outcomes-libraries-wipo>.
http://www.eifl.net/blogs/three-outcomes-libraries-wipo

-----
Teresa Hackett
Copyright and Libraries Programme Manager
EIFL - Electronic Information for Libraries - www.eifl.net
-----

<http://www.eifl.net/blogs/three-outcomes-libraries-wipo>