[A2k] ITS Global Tech Policy Fellowship Program - 2018

Ronaldo Lemos ronaldolemos123 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 20:14:59 PST 2018

Hello everyone,

ITS Rio <http://www.itsrio.org/> has just launched our call for
applications for the 2018 global fellowship program in Rio de Janeiro.

More information at: https://itsrio.org/en/comunicados/applications-now-
open-its-global-policy-fellowship-program-2018/

The program will take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in July 2018. The
deadline to apply is March 3rd 2018.

Best regards,

Ronaldo

Applications now open: ITS Global Policy Fellowship Program 2018

Our fellows will have the opportunity to visit some of the largest national
and international technology companies operating in Brazil as well as
governmental entities.

published in

15 de december de 2017

categories

   - opportunities <https://itsrio.org/category/opportunities>

   - theme
   <https://itsrio.org/en/comunicados/applications-now-open-its-global-policy-fellowship-program-2018/#tab_0>
   - information
   <https://itsrio.org/en/comunicados/applications-now-open-its-global-policy-fellowship-program-2018/#tab_1>
   - fellows 2017
   <https://itsrio.org/en/comunicados/applications-now-open-its-global-policy-fellowship-program-2018/#tab_2>
   - related
   <https://itsrio.org/en/comunicados/applications-now-open-its-global-policy-fellowship-program-2018/#tab_3>

apply here <https://itsrio2.typeform.com/to/BYzF6t>
theme
*Applications now open*

The Institute for Technology and Society of Rio de Janeiro
<http://www.itsrio.org/> invites researchers, students and professionals
working with technology policy to apply to its Global Policy Fellowship Program
and spend four weeks* in Brazil at ITS Rio. Last year, we welcomed six
fellows, who gave valuable contributions to the success of the Fellowship
Program.

Our Global Fellows will have the opportunity to work with the team who
created and developed Brazil’s Internet Bill of Rights *(Marco Civil da
Internet)*, a bill that guarantees and promotes the  protection of
fundamental rights, including privacy, net neutrality and freedom of
expression, which was approved as law in Brazil in April 2014. Furthermore,
they will be able to choose one of our four main areas of work to develop
their research in, namely:

– *Democracy & Technology* (artificial intelligence, civic engagement,
online participation, and others)

– *Rights & Technology* (self-sovereign identity, digital identity, a.i.,
connectivity, freedom of expression, privacy and others topics on Internet
regulation)

– *Education* (intellectual property, digital entrepreneurship, online
teaching, and others)

– *Rethinking Innovation* (new models of development, blockchain,
entrepreneurship, and others)

ITS Fellowship Program will offer the opportunity for those interested in
internet and technology policy to deepen their knowledge about the
Brazilian technology context. We have prepared an intensive 4-week* program
for our fellows, which includes meeting ITS Rio partners in Rio de Janeiro
and São Paulo in order to have the opportunity to visit some of the largest
national and international technology companies operating in Brazil as well
as governmental entities and exchange ideas, projects and research with
those institutions.

See the list of our former fellows *here
<https://itsrio.org/en/projetos/its-global-policy-fellowship/>*.

information
fellows will be expected to

   - Make a short presentation to ITS Rio’s team about their research
   topics and professional experiences;
   - Publish at least one short article or web post about their experience
   as a fellow in Brazil;
   - Collaborate with ITS Rio’s team and its projects and publications;
   - Engage in talks and meetings with lawyers, policymakers, press and
   industry representatives on their topic;
   - Identify research projects with ITS team;
   - Give a lecture during the summer school (International School of Law
   and Technology) organized by ITSwith the partnership of the University
   of Montréal, addressing the areas of law and technology that will take
   place in Rio de Janeiro from July 16th to July 20th (the class plan should
   be ready or in the process of being ready by the time fellows arrive in
   Brazil);

The class plan should be ready or in the process of being ready by the time
fellows arrive in Brazil. Suggested topics include: artificial
intelligence, big data, internet of things, algorithms, broadband and
access policy, content regulation, copyrights and creativity, consumer
privacy, open government, government surveillance, data security, freedom
of expression, democracy and technology, human rights, innovation, open
leadership, education and culture.
who should apply?

We are looking for MBA, Master’s, and PhD students, researchers, and
professionals who are following the debates in the public policy field, and
who want to spend part of their summer or winter in Brazil, learning about
Internet policy. People from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.

   - Registration valid only for foreigners
   - Portuguese skills are not required (but English is mandatory)
   - We’ll reserve two positions for NoC’s researchers

for the selection processes, you must:

   - Complete the form (click *here*
   <https://itsrio2.typeform.com/to/BYzF6t>)

In the form we will ask you for your complete academic and professional
resume, including LinkedIn profile and other online references you want us
to consider.
fellowship package includes

– Flight tickets to São Paulo and accomodation in São Paulo during the days
of our visit;

– Shared office space at our headquarters for four weeks*;

– An one-week course with immersion in subjects related to law and
technology;

– Intensive 4-week* program for the fellows:

   - *01st week:** introduction to the ITS fellows and their own projects +
   introduction to the ITS team  and to ITS projects;*
   - *02nd week: **International School of Law and Technology (a one-week
   immersion course in subjects related to law and technology
   + fellows lectures);*
   - *03rd week:** trip to São Paulo (including visits to some of the
   largest national and international technology companies operating in
   Brazil);*
   - *04th week:** meetings with ITS partners in Rio de Janeiro
   + fellowship brainstorming and feedback;*

fellowship package does not include

   - International travelling to and from Brazil;
   - Accommodation during the four weeks* in Rio de Janeiro, where our
   program takes place;
   - Other costs related to your stay in Brazil, besides those mentioned
   above.
   - Visa fees (if necessary).

*Our team will provide information about how to find accommodation in the
city during the fellows’ stay.*
important dates

   - Application deadline: March 03rd, 2018;
   - Announcement of fellows by e-mail: April 02nd, 2018;
   - Fellowship Program starts: July 09th, and finishes in August 03rd,
   2018*;

** Fellows are expected to stay in Rio from July 09th  to August
03rd. Fellows can coordinate with ITS Rio the possibility of staying for a
longer term before or after this period if they wish. Visa and related
costs for additional stay should be arranged by the fellows.*
need help?

If you need any further information please contact its at itsrio.org.