[A2k] Right to Science and Culture in National Constitutions

Aslam Raffee aslamr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 23:18:25 PST 2018

Hi,

South Africa has the following in its constitution
https://www.gov.za/documents/constitution/chapter-2-bill-rights#29,

Section 30: the right to use the language of one's choice and to
participate in the cultural life of one's choice.
Section 31: the right of cultural, religious or linguistic communities to
enjoy their culture, practise their religion and use their language.
Section 32: the right of access to information, including all information
held by the government.

29. Education

   1. Everyone has the right ­

a. to a basic education, including adult basic education; and

b. to further education, which the state, through reasonable measures, must
make progressively available and accessible.

   1. Everyone has the right to receive education in the of ficial language
   or languages of their choice in public educational institutions where that
   education is reasonably practicable. In order to ensure the effective
   access to, and implementation of, this right, the state must consider all
   reasonable educational alternatives, including single medium institutions,
   taking into account ­

a. equity;

b. practicability; and

c. the need to redress the results of past racially discriminatory laws and
practices.

   1. Everyone has the right to establish and maintain, at their own
   expense, independent educational institutions that ­

a. do not discriminate on the basis of race;

b. are registered with the state; and

c. maintain standards that are not inferior to standards at comparable
public educational institutions.

   1. Subsection (3) does not preclude state subsidies for independent
   educational institutions.

30. Language and culture

Everyone has the right to use the language and to participate in the
cultural life of their choice, but no one exercising these rights may do so
in a manner inconsistent with any provision of the Bill of Rights.
31. Cultural, religious and linguistic communities

   1. Persons belonging to a cultural, religious or linguistic community
   may not be denied the right, with other members of that community ­

a. to enjoy their culture, practise their religion and use their language;
and

b. to form, join and maintain cultural, religious and linguistic
associations and other organs of civil society.

   1. The rights in subsection (1) may not be exercised in a manner
   inconsistent with any provision of the Bill of Rights.

*2 <https://www.gov.za/documents/constitution/chapter-2-bill-rights#2ft>32.
Access to information

   1. Everyone has the right of access to ­

a. any information held by the state; and

b. any information that is held by another person and that is required for
the exercise or protection of any rights.

   1. National legislation must be enacted to give effect to this right,
   and may provide for reasonable measures to alleviate the administrative and
   financial burden on the state.

Regards,
Aslam